You may have seen plastic filling the beaches and oceans. Especially now in rainy season, after a heavy rainfall, it is painfully clear how much plastic is lingering in nature. Within reach of wild animals, who eat it or get entangled in it.
Facts about plastic
Out of the 300 million tons of plastic that is being produced every year, over 50% is for single-use purpose. And of this plastic waste only 9% is being recycled. Especially in Tanzania, recycling options are limited and often very expensive.
- 90% of the world’s seabirds have plastic pieces in their stomach.
- More than 1 million plastic bags are used every minute around the globe.
- One plastic water bottle will stay for 450 years before it breaks down completely
- 80% of the plastic found in the ocean originates from land.
- It is said that by 2050 there could be more plastic than fish in the sea.
- More than 8 million tons of plastic are dumped in our oceans every year.
- 1 in 3 species of marine mammals have been found entangled in marine litter
Ajabu Adventures takes it a step further
But how about the use of other plastic items, such as plastic bottles? Tanzania receives over 1 million tourists each year. Imagine how many plastic bottles have to be produced to keep them hydrated during their safari?
The team of Ajabu Adventures therefore has decided to go a step further. Being committed to protect the wildlife and nature that surrounds us, we are proud to introduce reusable water bottles for all our guests. Every one that travels with us will receive a personal water bottle at the start of the safari as a gift. You can refill your bottle as many times as you wish from the bulk dispenser in our safari vehicle.
We may not be the first safari company, and hopefully we won’t be the last, shifting to sustainable water bottles. But with this small effort from our side, we will save thousands of water bottles from becoming waste.
Help us to ban out any form of single-use plastic to maintain Africa’s wilderness pristine and safe!